March 26, 2020
Kasvi Synergy Burger
Kasvi Synergy Burger
Serves: 4 Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 8-10 minutes
- 1 cup cooked pearl barley, cooled
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1 small Vidalia onion, diced
- 1 lb. shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 flax egg (recipe below)*
- 1 14oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small cooked beet, grated and liquid squeezed out
- ¼ cup whole-wheat panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. oats
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 3 Tbsp. Kasvi
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp. BBQ sauce
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. cracked black pepper
- In a bowl of a food processor, combine the toasted walnuts, oats, chili powder, Kasvi, cumin, and paprika. Mix till mealy. Leave ingredients in the food processor bowl.
- In a small non-stick sauté pan, cook the onion over medium heat for 5 minutes or until translucent. Keep stirring to keep from sticking, the natural water in the onion will start to release to keep from sticking to the pan. Add in the shitake mushrooms and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a small bowl, add the black beans and using a potato masher, mash the beans until creamy. Add the beans, barley, flax egg, grated beet, panko, and BBQ sauce to the food processor bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Blend just until all the ingredients are combined.
- Using your hands, slowly combine all the ingredients and form 4 large burger patties. Place patties on a parchment paper-lined sheet tray and place into the fridge for 20 minutes. *(I used latex gloves to form patties as to not stain my hands from the beets).
- Remove the patties and let sit on the counter for about 10 minutes prior to cooking. Heat a large non-stick pan or griddle to medium heat. Cook the patties for 3-4 minutes per side. Set aside and let rest for 5-7 minutes before serving.
- Serve burgers with sliced avocado, Heirloom tomatoes, red onion, organic sprouts, and bib lettuce on a pretzel bun or bun of choice.
*Flax Egg- Mix 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed with 3 Tbsp. water and let sit for 5 minutes before adding to the recipe.